Elliot Ward Extended Care Unit and Pharmacy
Frankham quantity surveyors were commissioned by Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
The works consisted of the refurbishment of two separate areas within Ashford Hospital:
– 4 bay extended care unit on the Elliot Ward
– Refurbishment of the onsite Pharmacy/dispensary unit
– Additional phased minor redecoration works to the education centre, instructed prior to practical completion of the main project
Frankham quantity surveyors collaborated with the Trust’s other appointed design consultants including architects, M&E consultants and structural engineers to provide concise and detailed tender documentation. This approach enabled us to achieve the contract sum within budget and tender returns within tight timescales.
Challenges & Solutions
The surrounding hospital environment, including adjacent wards remained live and operational at all times. In order to minimise and manage any disruption and risk caused by the works, the following measures were put into place:
- The site area was segregated with secure full height cleanable hoardings, supplied and fitted, to the Trust’s specific standards to stop transferal of dust and debris into the hospital areas.
- Signage directed the public away from the work site.
- All waste was transferred in sealable wheelie bins to the skip located in a locked compound.
- Any noisy work was carried out at times agreed with the client in coordination with any adjacent building users.
- All site personnel took daily lateral tests and wore PPE masks at all times to minimise the risk of COVID-19 infections.
The Trust required the project delivered within tight timescales and this could have been compromised by the long lead times for various key bespoke items including the patient hoist and IPS/UPS. Our team provided programme development assistance, highlighting these risk areas and identifying alternative proposals to deliver the project in order to meet these timescales.
Although one single project, the Trust was funding the project from a number of different internal cost centres. Our team collaborated with multiple stakeholders within the Trust, to tailor our cost reporting service to provide valued assistance with managing these different cost centres.
Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Shared Business Services Construction Consultancy Framework